AgeGuide Dementia-Friendly Initiatives
AgeGuide Joins the Dementia Friendly America Network
Building dementia friendly communities in Illinois is significantly important to persons living with or at risk for dementia and their caregivers. Based on a 2017 Alzheimer’s Association report, it is estimated that 220,000 people in Illinois have dementia due to Alzheimer’s disease and by 2025 the number will increase by 18% to 260,000 people.
Dementia Friendly America is a national network of communities, organizations and individuals seeking to ensure that communities across the U.S. are equipped to support people living with dementia and their caregivers. Dementia friendly communities foster the ability of people living with dementia to remain in the community and engage and thrive in day to day living.
In March of 2017, AgeGuide made a commitment to the Dementia Friendly Illinois Communities initiative at the Dementia Friendly Illinois kick-off workshop.
Through an Alzheimer’s Disease Supportive Services grant funded by the Illinois Department on Aging through the Administration on Community Living, and by utilizing the Dementia Friendly America Toolkit, AgeGuide has received national recognition from Dementia Friendly America for the development of two Dementia Friendly communities: Kankakee County and North Chicago in Lake County. Through this grant, we have been able to accomplish a lot in 2018 in collaboration with community partners:
- Development of Dementia Friendly Business Training presentations
- Implemented Tales and Travels Memories Library Program and Memory Cafés in various communities
- Developed Dementia Friendly communities in North Chicago and Kankakee County that are recognized nationally for their continuing efforts
AgeGuide is bringing the message of Dementia Awareness and Support to our local communities
Ready to ignite your community to become more Dementia Friendly and get your star on the map? We can provide the assistance and support you need!
- Offer Guidance on Development of Advisory Committees
- Dementia Friendly Business Sector Trainings
- Community Outreach & Education
- Tales and Travels Memories Library Program
- Stress Busting Program for Family Caregivers
Interested in becoming a Dementia Friendly Business?
Dementia-Friendly Business Standards
- At least 50% of front line staff participate in training and Management required to attend training
- Team leader appointed as a liaison
- Open to discussion regarding environment changes to enhance safety
- Commitment to share training with new hires and those who weren’t able to attend the original training
- Agreement to annual on-site follow-up visits
Dementia-Friendly Training Topics
- Dementia-friendly concept and value
- Role of dementia-friendly organizations
- Viewpoints of individuals with dementia
- Dementia signs and symptoms
- Approach and communication strategies
- Possible issues and management strategies
- Dementia-friendly environment strategies
To learn more about these programs or to see how we can serve as a resource for your Dementia Friendly community effort, contact Colette Jordan at 630-293-5990 or firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out our form.